So you think you have a problem!
Apparently there have been a lot of complaints to the Council (well I did warn them) about the reduction in black sacks. The answer is that the total number of sacks issued is the same as always. The difference is that some are black for refuse and some are coloured for recycling. This is being done to encourage recycling and I am asked to reinforce this message to my constituents.
What I will reinforce is that the reduction was carried out originally to save money and just happens to be a convenient argument.
Whilst this convenient argument does have some merit in it it ignores a number of facts. If a household always used to use two sacks per week , the restricted amount of recycling that is catered for is not likely to reduce those two sacks, therefore households will be short if only one is delivered.
I am fully behind recycling and pushed its introduction whilst deputy leader of the Council.What is needed to really push recycling forward is a major effort nationally to actually reduce the amount of rubbish produced and not tinker with its disposal. Is all that packaging on everything we buy really necessary?
Apparently there have been a lot of complaints to the Council (well I did warn them) about the reduction in black sacks. The answer is that the total number of sacks issued is the same as always. The difference is that some are black for refuse and some are coloured for recycling. This is being done to encourage recycling and I am asked to reinforce this message to my constituents.
What I will reinforce is that the reduction was carried out originally to save money and just happens to be a convenient argument.
Whilst this convenient argument does have some merit in it it ignores a number of facts. If a household always used to use two sacks per week , the restricted amount of recycling that is catered for is not likely to reduce those two sacks, therefore households will be short if only one is delivered.
I am fully behind recycling and pushed its introduction whilst deputy leader of the Council.What is needed to really push recycling forward is a major effort nationally to actually reduce the amount of rubbish produced and not tinker with its disposal. Is all that packaging on everything we buy really necessary?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home